This page discusses how various other approaches map to the conceptual model of a research methodology described here.
The research onion conceptualisation was proposed by Saunders et al. in 2009. So, how does the approach described in this wiki compare?
- Layer 1: Philosophies – This is the same as the Philosophical World View.
- Layer 2: Approaches – This level is not specifically covered as a component of a research scheme. However, it could be seen in a Research Approach, which is a property of a Research Design.
- Layer 3: Strategies – this is the same as a Research Design.
- Layer 4: Choices – This is covered in the approach taken in this wiki where a research design may have one, or more, research methods linked to it. Thus, a research design may be mono- or multi-method.
- Layer 5: Time horizons – This layer is not covered as a specific component in the model presented in this wiki.
- Layer 6: Techniques and procedures – This layer is made up by the Research Methods.
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P., & Thornhill, A. (2009). Research methods for business students. 5th edition. Pearson education, Harlow.